Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I greet the Troops?
Anyone can come to Bangor International Airport to greet the Troops. When you enter the airport, take the escalator up to the second floor Domestic Terminal and join the other greeters outside the Troop Greeter room.
2. Do I have to be a member of the Maine Troop Greeters to greet the Troops?
No, you do not have to be a member to greet the Troops, but if you want to be notified by the organization's Call System for the Troop flights, you must be a Participating, Retired or Contributing member.
3. How will I know when a Troop flight is arriving?
Once you become a qualified member of the Maine Troop Greeters, you will be added to the Call System.
4. How do I become a member of the Maine Troop Greeters?
You can find more information on becoming a member by clicking on the Become A Member link on the left-hand side of this site's Home page and follow the instructions listed on that page. Or, you may go to the Troop Greeter Room at the Airport and ask any of the greeters there for the membership materials. You will be provided a folder with introductory documents which will be explained to you by a Membership Committee contact person.
5. If I become a member, am I expected to greet all flights?
The organization is an all volunteer program. No one is expected to meet all flights or any set number of flights. Members are asked to do what they can, when they can.
6. Is there a fee to join the Maine Troop Greeters?
Members are not asked to pay a fee to join the organization nor are they required to make any donations, except of their time.
7. Where is the Troop Greeter room located?
The Troop Greeter room is located at Bangor International Airport, 287 Godfrey Blvd. in Bangor, Maine. You will find the room on the second floor of the airport, in the Domestic Terminal area, next to the coffee shop.
8. When is the Troop Greeter room open?
The Troop Greeter room is open one-half hour prior to a Troop flight arrival and stays open until those Troops have boarded for the next leg of their journey.
9. Where do I park my vehicle when I come to greet the Troops?
All greeters may park their vehicle in the Short Term parking lot at the airport. One of the benefits of membership includes parking ticket validation when greeting a Troop flight. Greeters may present their parking ticket to the person on duty at the Front Desk of the Troop Greeter room to have their parking ticket validated.
10. Can I bring my dog with me to greet the Troops at the Airport?
Only dogs designated as Therapy dogs, or Therapy dogs in training are allowed at the airport.
11. Are we allowed to bring in food or other items to give to the Troops?
The Maine Troop Greeter organization has provided a list of acceptable donations for the Troops. These lists may be found on this website under the Make a Donation link.
12. Can I take pictures of the Troops?
Most Troops enjoy having their photo taken, but you must ask for their permission prior to taking any photos.
13. Can I bring my troop of Girl Scouts to greet a Troop flight?
Any organization is welcome to come to the Airport to greet the Troops. Of course, groups of children must have adult supervision and both the greeters and the airport appreciate prior knowledge of such a visit. You may find more information on this subject on the Group Greetings link.
14. How can I find out what date/time my soldier's flight will be arriving in Bangor?
Military Troop flights do not provide manifests, (a listing the names of the Troops on the flight), which sometimes makes it difficult to pinpoint a particular flight. For this reason, the Troop Greeters have formed a Family Liaisons group which works to provide guidance and information on Troop flights for families. You will find more information on this topic on the Family Greetings link.
15. Where can I send a letter to the Greeters?
You can mail your correspondence to: Maine Troop Greeters, Bangor International Airport, 287 Godfrey Blvd., Box 6, Bangor, ME. 04401 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org . You may find other contact information under the Contact Us link.
16. I'd like to make a financial contribution to the organization, how would I do that?
You can always drop off your contribution at the Troop Greeter room's Front Desk at the Airport or you can mail it to Roberta York, Treasurer, Maine Troop Greeters, Bangor International Airport, 287 Godfrey Blvd., Box 6, Bangor, ME. For further information on donations please go to the Make A Donation link.
17. Is my donation tax deductible?
The Maine Troop Greeters corporation is a recognized 501 C3 organization, which makes all donations tax deductible. Please consult with your tax preparer when deciding to take the deduction.